Many of you who are thinking about moving here from other parts of the U.S. ask me the question, “What’s the cost of living difference between (enter your town here) and Loudoun County/Northern Virginia?”
To help answer your question, I’ve compiled a list of web sites you can check out. Each of these sites will give you anywhere from a little to a lot of detailed comparisons of cost of living of your town to any city/zip code in Loudoun County or in the Northern Virginia/DC metro area.
Here are some sample searches from each site:
- Houston, TX (77048) compared to Ashburn, VA (20148) – Moving.com (click “Compare to another city” to change cities)
- Raleigh, NC compared to Reston, VA – BestPlaces.com (click on “Cost of Living” tab near top to change cities)
- Phoenix, AZ compared to Arlington, VA – PayScale.com (click on drop down menu in top box to change cities)
- Jacksonville, FL compared to Washington, DC (click on “Cost of Living Wizard” near bottom left of page to change cities)
If you would like to see how far your salary goes when moving from a major metropolitan area to the DC metro area in general, check out,
- CNN.com’s “How Far Will Your Salary Go” tool (use Washington-Arlington-Alexandria as the city/area here)
- BankRate.com’s “Cost of Living Comparison Calculator (use Washington-Arlington-Alexandria-DC-VA-MD-WV metro as the city/area here)
If you have specific questions regarding cost of living differences, what stores and price points this area has to offer in general or in detail per city/zip code, drop me a line any time. I can be reached at danilo.bogdanovic (at) gmail (dot) com or on my cell – 703.582.6900.